Tax Advice & Planning Areas ( H & R Accountants are working with Jtax Financial Solutions & National Accounting Financial Services for better reply to Tax queries.)

All tax returns will be prepared, reviewed and lodged by registered Tax agents.

The most common reasons that a tax return may be required are as follows:

  • You are self-employed or a partner in a partnership
  • You are a company director
  • You have large amounts of savings or investment income
  • You have untaxed savings or investment income
  • You own land or property that is being let
  • You have income from overseas
  • You have sold or given an asset away (such as a holiday home or some shares)
  • You’ve lived or worked abroad or aren’t domiciled in Australia
  • You are an employee with shares or other income.

The staff at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) are not tasked to advise you on how to organise your affairs and minimise your tax. Therefore, if you want to make sure you are paying the right amount of tax, you should consult a professional.

We prepare income Tax Returns for:

  • Individuals
  • Partnerships
  • Companies
  • Trusts
  • Self-Managed Superannuation Funds
  • Deceased Estates

At H & R Accountants we use ATO-approved software to:

  • Lodge your tax return
  • Calculate your tax liability
  • Lodge the return online
  • Liaise with you on the amounts to be paid and when they are due

TAX Savings

Although the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) has helplines available to assist taxpayers, staff members are not tasked with providing advice on how to organise your affairs in order to minimise the amount of tax you pay. If you are looking to make tax savings, but do not want to attempt to interpret detailed tax legislation, you should seek professional advice. We offer all clients tax planning reviews, using a range of tax calculators and try to ensure that our clients only pay as much tax as they are legally obliged to and no more!

Whatever your tax planning needs we will endeavor to find a tax saving scheme to suit your circumstances so make sure you contact us, especially as there may be more specific tax planning tips and tax advice available for your business sector.

Tax Advice & Planning Areas ( H & R Accountants are partnered with Jtax Financial Solutions & National Accounting Financial Services for better reply to Tax queries.)

We are continually keeping up-to-date with the latest tax strategies and laws available for:

  • Individuals
  • Companies
  • Partnerships
  • Discretionary Family Trust
  • Unit Trust
  • Bare Trusts or Security Trusts
  • Self-Managed Superannuation Funds
  • We have included a series of tax tips below which provide general guidance on various tax saving strategies and should answer some of your tax questions.

Employing your spouse in the business

If you are self-employed and your spouse helps out with general administration, or any other role, it is quite legitimate to pay your spouse a salary. However, there are a few rules that need to be followed, such as how much to pay your spouse and have evidence that the payments were made during the year. Sole proprietors with higher rate tax liabilities will benefit significantly from this arrangement and further tax savings could be made by setting up an employer pension scheme.

Selling additional homes

Are you selling that second or third home and want to reduce any capital gains tax that you may need to pay? The garden shed and other fixtures and fittings are treated as wasting chattels for Capital Gains Tax, i.e. when you sell them there is no tax to pay. Why not ask your solicitor to allocate part of the selling price in the contract to these items? Make sure you seek advice regarding Stamp Duty Land Tax when considering these issues.

Capital Gains – Using home as office

If you claim tax relief for the use of a room as an office there can be a tax charge when you later sell your home, however we can advise you of measures that can be taken to help to minimize or mitigate a capital gains tax liability.

Stock valuation

Stock should be valued at cost or market price, but can be valued at ‘net realisable value’ if this is a lower figure. Essentially this means valued at what you could sell the stock in an open market sale. Lowering the value of closing stock will reduce taxable profits.

Recover GST

Recover GST on invoices that you have paid or received before you registered for GST by including the input GST on your first return. Make sure you have the GST invoices and keep a schedule of the adjustments you have made. Be careful though, there are time limits and rules for this recovery measure so be sure to speak with your accountant!

Backpackers & Travelers

Working as a backpacker or traveler in Australia? Then you could benefit from a tax back refund. You can apply at the end of each tax year, or during the tax year if you are permanently departing the country.

Book your free consultation today